Sunday, July 10, 2011

Respond to the Light

Read It: Psalm 119:105-112 (NRSV)


    105      Your word is a lamp to my feet 
    and a light to my path. 
    106      I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, 
    to observe your righteous ordinances. 
    107      I am severely afflicted; 
    give me life, O LORD, according to your word. 
    108      Accept my offerings of praise, O LORD, 
    and teach me your ordinances. 
    109      I hold my life in my hand continually, 
    but I do not forget your law. 
    110      The wicked have laid a snare for me, 
    but I do not stray from your precepts. 
    111      Your decrees are my heritage forever; 
    they are the joy of my heart. 
    112      I incline my heart to perform your statutes 
    forever, to the end. 

Learn It:
While camping this week I used a lantern a lot.  I know that it doesn't get dark here in Washington until late at night but when it did get dark I needed the lantern to anywhere.  The whole idea of a lantern being used to as a metaphor is a wonderful way to express God's presence in our lives.  We can see the actions that God does to show us the path that has been set for us.  The Psalmist points out that he needs to confirm the path and to respond to that light and that promise.  It is also a reminder that following the path of God is not easy.  Verse 10 points out that there will be events or people that will try to make you stray from the path but it is up to us to choose to follow the path and the promises that God has laid out for us.  This is also a wonderful way to show that God does things in our lives for us and we respond to that light by following the path and the ways that God has laid out for us.  It is a response to what God has done and continues to do for us.

Share It:
I know it doesn't get dark outside until late but consider going outside with your family and bring flashlight or lantern/lamp during this time.  What are times when it is easy to see the path that God has laid out before you?  When are there times when it is hard to see that path?   What ways does this idea of God's path or plan being like a lamp fit for you?  How can you respond to the path that God has laid out for you and to give thanks to God for all he has done and does in your life?  Share this and other thoughts that come up during your time together.

Live It:
During this week spend some time trying to see the path God has placed for you and the ways God has done so in the past.  Take some time to try to find a way to 'respond' to that path, that love and grace that God has given to you and gives you all the time.  Respond to God for all that God has already done.

Please post comments with your experience with the share it or live it part of this weeks post.  Let others know if you and your family found this useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment